Monday, July 9, 2007

Fishing & Postcards

So. I have returned from the North. I caught a pair of pike about 12-14 inches each and two small bass. They will be there for someone to catch in the future.

None of my family were impressed with my facial hair. Emily wryly asked if the reason for my hirsuteness was because it was the fishing playoffs. Ben would look over at me and laugh and Hannah kept encouraging me to go shave. Truthfully, I was happy to oblige.

Shining Tree was a nice break from my reality. I learned how to operate a small fishing boat on my own. The lake was peaceful. And in the evenings, the rum was more abundant than the fish. I am not that comfortable on water and I have not fished much during my life, but I enjoy the experience... the discomfort from my norms... the adventure... and I appreciate the comradeship and fun. Plus, being away... reminds you to savour the important things in your life such as family and friends.

Each day, I completed my "away from home" ritual of writing a postcard to each of my children. This tradition began when I was off from work for the month or so after Hannah was born. Whenever I left the house (even just to go around the block), I would complete and mail a postcard to Hannah. The postcard is always about animals.

I have continued this activity whenever I stay away overnight. Unfortunately, most picture postcards are now widely distributed and I find the same prototypical photos everywhere. I am always on the lookout for animal postcards. I buy them in advance, but my pursuit becomes more difficult each year.

If anyone is interested, here is more information about postcards!

Because these first posts have a fishing focus, some might assume that this blog is about the time of day that trout are available. There will be fewer fish references from now on. (Smiles... except to mention that I have enjoyed Trout Fishing in America when they have played at Summerfolk which is coming up in a few weeks. Maybe I'll see you there!


Cheers - Tim

1 comment:

Janet Iles said...

Tim
I enjoyed reading how you send postcards to your children. Over the years, I have sent postcards and of course, I received them when my parents travelled.

The ones that are most special are those sent by my grandfather in World War I and my father in World War I.